The methanol synthesis unit is a small scale Lurgi process and its main function is to convert the H2 and CO2 input to a mixture of methanol and water. H2 and CO2 are fed into the reactor and this mixture reacts over a CuZnAl2O3 catalyst. The main reason for selecting the Lurgi process is its relative simplicity: no water gas shift reaction is needed thus the number of components and consequently the total capex of the system is expected to be lower.
Process modeling (calculate stuff)
- Building a kinetic-dynamic reactor model.
- Design the process flow diagram. (steady state)
- Design the process flow diagram (dynamic)
Component design (draw stuff)
- 3D CAD model of the reactor and compressor
- FEM: temperature and pressure
- Research suppliers / manufacturers / industrial design experts
Experimenting / Testing (build stuff)
- Build a reactor based on literature descriptions
- Research influence of different catalysts
- Full system run: check methanol quality and system efficiency
Process & Energy Engineering
COCO Simulator / Aspen
Fusion 360 / Solid Works